Friday, June 18, 2010

2010 06 Fireflies

As dusk falls in Pennsylvania, something magical happens.  Tiny little lights quickly appear then disappear out on our front lawns, just a few at first, but then more and more... These friendly little insects don't mind being caught and studied.  My niece, Emily, and her friends, Lexi and Nikki and I had fun catching these bright bottomed bugs together one night.  I told them how when I was a kid, we would squish their lights and smear it on our hands, arms, legs and faces so that we could have glowing markings on our bodies.  I have not introduced my girls to this experience yet.  They've seen the pictures, but the awe cannot be expressed in picture, it can only be captured by first-hand experience.  

Click here for more pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment