Friday, June 04, 2010

2010 06 Alyssa Plays Basketball

I just heard that John Wooden died.  I am not a big sports fan in general, but I am a fan of John Wooden.  I'm posting this picture in honor of him.

Wooden was born Oct. 14, 1910 in Hall, Ind, the second-eldest son of a hard-working farming couple. Soft-spoken Joshua Wooden taught his four sons the value of hard work, having them assist tending crops and livestock and then reading them poetry and scriptures every night by coal lamp.  When John Wooden finished eighth grade, his father gave him a card with a seven-point creed on it that included such tenets as “Be True to yourself” and “Make each day your masterpiece.” Wooden later used those philosophies in coaching and kept a copy of the card in his pocket the rest of his life.  By Jeff Eisenberg

1) Be true to yourself.
2) Make each day your masterpiece.
3) Help others.
4) Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible.
5) Make friendship a fine art.
6) Build a shelter against a rainy day.
7) Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.

He was a Christian for many years and his beliefs were more important to him than basketball, "I have always tried to make it clear that basketball is not the ultimate. It is of small importance in comparison to the total life we live. There is only one kind of life that truly wins, and that is the one that places faith in the hands of the Savior."[24] Wooden's faith strongly influenced his life. He read the Bible daily and attended the First Christian Church.[23] He said that he hopes his faith is apparent to others, "If I were ever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict me." (Taken from Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment