Tuesday, May 11, 2010

2010 05 What's in a Name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

I woke this morning to being called "grandmother." Hannah and Alyssa go by many names and have called me by different names as a result.  This morning, Hannah was pretending to be Alyssa's daughter and thus I became, "Grandmother." As the mother, Alyssa called Hannah, "Sweetie" most the morning.  Thought it was sweet to hear the girls talk to tenderly to each other, I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to be called anyone's grandmother!

Their role playing is in constant flux and I can never be sure who to call what.  Often Alyssa corrects me with, "I'm Miss Cindy." (She name her baby doll, "Sammy" after my friend Cindy's baby girl.) She also will tell people that that's her name.  Alyssa pretends to be Jana Alayra and Miss Cherylynn (Hannah's teacher at The Little Gym) too.

Sometimes they call each other Beth (Hannah) and Chloe (Alyssa)... and they are frequently Mary (Hannah) and Laura (Alyssa) (they are new fans of the Little House stories... and Alyssa has dubbed Daddy, Jack!). 

On a rare after dinner walk today, Alyssa was calling Hannah "Olivia" and was told by said, "Olivia" that her name was "Ava."Ava and Olivia are sisters, friends of the girls...

No comments:

Post a Comment